Newsflash — Splatoon 3 is still inking all over the charts in Japan (and everywhere, really!). Following last week’s bumper sales, this week’s Famitsu Japanese charts reveal that, despite an expected drop in sales, the third mollusc-based shooter has still managed to shift an incredible 506,610 physical units. That means physical sales for Splatoon 3 are already almost at 2.5 million copies.
The other big news is Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline’s release. This offline version of the Japan-exclusive MMORPG has sold nearly three times as many copies on Switch as it has on PlayStation 4 or 5 — but all three releases make up three of the top-five selling games of the week. Dragon Quest is a big deal in Japan, so we’re not that surprised at all, but we did have to smile when we saw positions 2, 3, and 4 were all Dragon Quest. Only inklings and octolings can keep the dragon at bay, it seems!
The other new Japanese release this week is Trinity Trigger, FuRyu’s co-op action RPG which is due out in the West early next year. The game debuted in 7th with 6,698 units sold, which isn’t too bad for a brand new IP. But other than the two other Dragon Quest X versions, it’s a Switch-dominated list!
Here’s the overall top ten from the week of 12th to 18th September 2022:
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 506,610 (2,441,290)
- [NSW] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline (Square Enix, 09/15/22) – 143,836 (New)
- [PS4] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline (Square Enix, 09/15/22) – 48,100 (New)
- [PS5] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline (Square Enix, 09/15/22) – 28,371 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,661 (4,837,415)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 7,463 (732,175)
- [NSW] Trinity Trigger (FuRyu, 09/15/22) – 6,698 (New)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 6,629 (2,792,678)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 5,027 (888,934)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 4,720 (4,976,532)
Hardware sales have seen the Xbox Series S sales increase to an impressive 13,211 units (thanks to a promotion which saw customers receive a 5,000 yen gift card if they purchased a Series S), but otherwise, it’s Switch dominance as per usual. The OLED is still selling gangbusters, with 96,889 units shifted this week, while the Standard model has sold a decent 25,683 units. People need their Splatoon 3 machines! The PS5 managed to sell more than the Switch Lite, but this week saw the console’s price increase in the country following Sony’s announcement in August.
- Switch OLED Model – 96,889 (2,622,850)
- Switch – 25,683 (18,692,443)
- Xbox Series S – 13,211 (178,457)
- PlayStation 5 – 8,739 (1,658,430)
- Switch Lite – 4,986 (4,891,228)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,441 (267,251)
- Xbox Series X – 866 (159,791)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 29 (1,188,709)
- PlayStation 4 – 12 (7,819,872)
< Last week’s charts
Will Splatoon 3 and Dragon Quest X maintain their hold at the top of the charts next week? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Source : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/09/japanese-charts-splatoon-3-sells-another-half-a-million-physical-copies